Friday, March 20, 2020

Inspired by the Mexicans

Buenas buenas
Since I am doing self quarantine, I have stayed at home all these days and I have spend it in an intelligent manner, watching excellent films; that for me is essential.
I wanted to spend this time watching films that well done and I have not seen. So I decided to watch films only by Mexican directors; I was already a fan of the work of Guillermo del Toro but I had not given the opportunity to works of Alfonso Cuaron and Alejandro Iñarritu. And wow I did need to watch these films.
From Alejandro I watched "Babel" and from Cuaron I watched "Y tu mama tambien" and "Roma".
Film Flammers: BabelRoma (2018 film) - WikipediaGay Films - Y Tu Mamá También | Gay Essential

I have been recommended this films a long time ago, but I feel that these films are sometimes hard to digest so I think I could not have handle it before so it was good to see it now. And hey what does this have to do with my project? well this are highly known film by Mexican directors, also this films are so natural that makes you believe that you were part of the story, mostly in "Y ty mama tambien" since it is filmed as a documental, and this is what I actually wanted to achieve witht the hand held filming so YES these films taught me a lot; things such as putting for backgorund conversation in the subtitles as "indistinctive spanish chattering" which I do need to put in scenes were there are characxters speaking in Spanish and their conversations are not relevant to the story.

As a result, I have spent most of my week watching foreign films which include their original language and are documentary like, so they have shown me techniques that I can include in my editing and how I could play with the narration of a film; as it is done in "Y tu mama tambien" (which by the way, this film has become one of my favorite films since the film seems so real and nostalgic, that made me want to go to Mexico; and wow I love the cast).

In addition, I watched the documentary on how Cuaron created Roma, it is a Netflix show of Road to Roma which explained all the process of the filming and Cuaron's inspirations; and WOW I got to say I am surprised that I unconsciously thought as Cuaron when preparing and filming fo the intro. For example, I did not give a script since the scene needed to look as spontaneous; the classifying the background actors according to their looks and style, and not wanting to use so much close ups since the character will stand out from the rest, and not all characters deserve such deep focus since it almost seems as intimate. I have to say I am proud and I know that I am not the same level of director as Cuaron, yet; but gotta say I am proud of my techniques and my instincts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AICE MEDIA Portfolio by Andrea

That's it :)

 This has been a crazy journey since I got to face my fear and demonstrate that I actually can create a rock song. It will definitely be the...